Simple and quick pasta dish. This makes one serving. Multiply linearly.
- 100g Spaghetti
- 100g Guanciale or Pancetta, 1/2 inch chop.1
- 1 pcs Large Egg
- 0.25 cup Pecorino Romano Cheese, grated2
- 0.25 tbsp Black Pepper, or to taste
- Start spaghetti in salted water. While this cooks,
- Render guanciale fat on low to medium heat. If it finishes early, this can be removed from heat while the pasta finishes cooking.
- Combine egg(s), cheese, and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Drain pasta, save some water.
- Remove guanciale from heat and combine with the pasta and some pasta water.
- Carefully stir in the egg/cheese mixture with residual heat from the pan, so that it becomes a sauce rather than scrambled eggs. If you need more heat, keep it low.
- Serve, sprinkle more cheese if desired.
- Bacon or ham can be substituted, sacrilegiously. If you use ham, add some lard.
- Parmesan can be substituted, or even pre-grated Parmesan, if you want to make an Italian cry.