Broth for noodle soups. Modified from the Pho broth video below, to suit the ingredients that I keep in stock and to use up the scraps I create in the kitchen. No ingredient quantities are listed, because it doesn’t matter that much – you’ll just create differently-balanced broths. Add what feels right. If you don’t have everything, just skip it or substitute with something that you think will taste good.
Coat the following ingredients in oil and roast for 1hr @ 400F or until they develop a nice char:
- Bones. Traditionally beef, but I use chicken or pork. It’s good if they have meat and gristle on them. Crack or cut them to expose marrow. Great way to use up kitchen scraps.
- Ginger, halved. No need to peel
- Onions, halved or quartered
- Mushrooms, whole or halved
- Carrots, whole or halved
After roasting, place above ingredients in a stock pot, along with the following:
- Star Anise*
- Fish sauce
- Cardamom Pods
- Whole peppercorns
- Bay leaf
Add water to cover all ingredients, add lid to stock pot, bake at 200F for 12-24 hours.
Strain broth and use or can. Refrigerate if not using immediately.
* A bit of a Five Spice powder which includes these three spices can substitute them, here.