Simple home kimchi recipe. Not traditional, but can be done with the ingredients I normally keep in stock.
Ingredients: Cabbage, cut 2x1" pieces 1.5-2lb Salt, kosher 36g Garlic cloves, minced 6 Ginger, grated 1tsp Sugar 1tsp Fish sauce 3tbsp Red pepper flakes 2tbsp Green onions, cut 2" 4 Onion, medium, thin slices 1 Carrot, thinly sliced 8oz
- Place cabbage a large bowl, toss with 2 tablespoons of salt.
- Cover bowl, allow cabbage to wilt for 1-12 hrs.
- Combine and grind into a paste, the garlic, ginger, pepper, sugar
- Drain cabbage, save juice
- Combine all ingredients, mix
- Put mixture into jars, add cabbage juice
- Press mixture down, underneath liquid surface
- Cover, but don’t seal, and allow to ferment for a week.
- When done, seal jars and store in refrigerator.